Wednesday 29 July 2009

In 1989 I was in the old Northern sounds music shop in Duke street where I ran into an old friend from way back when. Reg Jordan was the dad of the younger Reg Jordan who played in guitar in The Tornadoes back in the early 60's down at St Perrins. I sort of new Daddy Reg, who played Drums. Reg was at this point in time 78 and still playing the clubs when ever he could get a gig.

I jokingly said do you need a bass player, and I gave him my number, not expecting a call but lo and behold Reg rang me a couple of weeks later to tell me he'ld come across this guy busking in Barrow. He'ld gone to visit him in this big house in Coniston, where he lived with his wife. His name was Ewan, his wife was called Juliet and they were into Blues.

Reg said they were interested in doing some gigs if he got any thing going. The next week I was in the Commadore in grange looking for solo gigs, just to bring in a few bob. They didn't do solo stuff, just bands so I said I've got a blues band if you want one, and clinched a gig in a couple of weeks time. I called Reg, and Reg called Ewan and we all met up at my new house in Lindal to jam out some blues tunes to see if it would work. Two weeks later we were the Lakeland Hill Billy Blues band playing in Grange.

It went well, and not long after that we had recruited two other members and had got our selves a regular gig at the Stickle Barn in The Landale valley. We were now the Lakes Blues Band. We played together with Reg for another couple of years, doing the summer residency at the Stickle Barn besides lots of other gigs in between. The Band went through a few changes, Reg left just after he turned 80, and we got in Grant Aspinal on drums.

The Band continued playing together for the next 15 years till about 2004. In the meantime I had set up a recording studio in an old Bomb shelter in The Ellers in Ulverston.
It was Known as Southlake studio and ran from 89 to 2002. Check the older posts link to see concluding chapter of this tale of me as a musician

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing story of grit and determination. You must be quite a talented guy, it takes something to accommodate the frequent changes in musical taste. You have brought back many memories. This is a story that should be written, but then I guess others with less colourful and determined lives have already swamped the market with groups, bands and celebrity 'wallpaper'. Or maybe not? Love to hear you play but don't go out in the evenings and I would have nobody to go with anyway. (My 'nearest and dearest' isn't into that sort of thing and never has been!) Best of luck to you for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gladys, I sort of just wrote this as a chronicle of how I got to where I was, don't know who it was aimed at, but nice to have your comment. Maybe it should be a book, maybe when I retire I'll find the time to flesh it out although with the passage of time the details are a little dimmed but maybe I should try.

    ReplyDelete